Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Learning my Way Around

In honor of learning my barrings and finding out what is around me in the city, I mostly spend my lunch break walking through the streets. This might be my favorite part of the day because I really get a chance to take in where I am and find little places that I want to try to eat or stores that I want to check out.


One thing that I have noticed and love about NYC is the stores. "O. M. G." There are not only little boutiques that carry uncommon clothes, but also brands people may have never heard of. But the regular stores like Ann Taylor, Victoria Secret, and New York and Company are all HUGE. When I say huge I'm talking multiple floors people. This is a bad thing to notice because not only am I a huge shopper with a passion for clothes, shoes, accessories...basically anything that has to do with fashion, but I want to go into these stores simply because they are so big! These multi-floored giants entice my shopping sensors and make me want to look around and purchase items simply so I can say I got this in a two floor Victoria Secret, have you been there? However, I am controlling my urges not to buy. However, the big huge red "sale, 40% off" sign does not stop me from going in to see what they might have.


Also among yesterdays accomplishments, I found something that I can not wait to do. As I was crossing between Lexington and 3rd Ave at I believe 60th st (if not I will just have to find it again) I came across a place that I have always wanted to try. A little restaurant called Serendipity, I have waited my whole life to try one of their frozen cappuccinos, and I fully intend on going one afternoon and fulfilling my long awaited dream!



Quick little story about my obsession about eating at Serendipity, well for starters anytime I come into the city I try somehow to incorporate it into my plan for the day. However, it never works out that way. Anyway this one particular day I had come into the city to see the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center with a group of friends. I thought it would be a brilliant idea if we went to get the famous frozen drink. Everyone was on board, but not quite down with the long walk. It was a very long hike to get to Serendipity from the tree. The whole time we were whining about the walk, saying "these frozen cappuccino better be the best ever." Long story short, we made the distance only to discover that the wait to get served was about two hours. Not wanting to wait and tired of walking, we turned around and went back to the car. That was the closest I have ever come to to having Serendipity, but now it is only a couple of streets over. I'M GOING!




On my walk back to the office I came across a little shop called Sprinkles. Sprinkles is a little cupcake shop that makes cupcakes of all sorts and flavors. The store was brightly colored with circle shapes in all decorating the window. Heck they had me at the name Sprinkles, and if I ate cupcakes I would definitely want to try them. I think I will bring them home one day for everyone to try and tell me how they are. The outside of the store seems as cute as the cupcakes looked.



Anyway, I'm still getting adjusted to city life and learning my way around, sometimes I surprise myself a little with how well I have been doing. However, I still have a lot to master. I have not learned to take my heels off at lunch while I am walking around. I am suffering the consequences from blister. I will learn eventually, I just have to get over the idea that they complete my outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment