Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Fresh Start

So since last time I posted, I lead you guys onto a little to the fact that I was leaving the city and looking for new employment. Well, today was the day that I started my new job at Saks Fifth Avenue. I am currently working in Women's Wear as a retail associate in the Stamford branch. I know it is not the ideal fashion job that I am looking for , but I feel that it is going to be a great fit and the potential to take me to the places I want to go. My goal is still to work in the fashion industry in NYC, but through commuting it became clear to me that where I am working is not as important to me as what I am doing. This is just the beginning for me and I am looking forward to grow at Saks and become more educated on the high-end brands that they carry. My very best-friend told me, you have to be nobody to become somebody. That is how i view my starting point at Saks. Also Stamford seems like a great little city that I am excited to explore and see what it has to offer.

I'm sorry to all of the people that were offended during the transition between jobs and while I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do. I really do appreciate all of your help, but this is the path that I have chosen to take. To some it may not seem like the right one or the one I should be on, but I am going to muster through it and work my way to the top, wherever that is because I truly have no idea what that is. Right now I have dreams goals and aspirations, no one knows if those will become reality or where I will end up some day, but right now this feels right.

SOOOO this is not the end of the blog, or the end of this adventure, it is simply an adjustment. There are going to be plenty of lessons I learn along the way and things that I discover that I will want to share while I am on my way to discovering myself as a professional.

Now I KNOWWWW some of you are looking for the dirt as to why I left my job in the city. I am not trying to hash up old feelings or make anyone look bad. The job simply was not for me, it is the right fit for someone, who is not me. Some people enjoy sitting at a desk with no daily tasks being assigned and ignored. However, that person is not me, I do not appreciate being told to sit at my desk and look pretty or to bring a book when I ask for something to do. Also as a college graduate I find it personally offensive when I am told that filing is too hard and to pick dead leaves off of plants. NOW those are just my personal feelings, that was simply their way of doing business, but it was not for me.

I have heard many comments from people some that were appalled by this treatment and some that say that can't be too hard. For those of you that don't think it is hard, be my guest and go sit at a desk for 8 hours and be bored there are not enough articles and blog posts I could write day in and day out to keep me entertained. I am a proactive person who runs on pure coffee and sitting around feeling degraded was not my idea of work. I felt like it was eating me up inside and I was genuinely not happy.

But now I feel like I have made the right choice. Everyday at Saks will be a challenge not only to establish myself, but also to exercise my restraints of saving money and not spending it on every little thing I "ThinK" I need.

2 comments: