Friday, July 8, 2011

Two Down!

As my second week working in the city winds down all is still going well. The commuting has gotten easier I have finally remember to always carry cash to pay for my meter. However, one thing I did learn is not to put a 20 into the meter because you will get back 15 dollars in coins. It's fine because I have been using those to pay for my parking, but not ideal for keeping in my purse.

I found a little area on 57th that I like to eat lunch, I still am a recent college grad, trying to save a little bit of money and establish a savings, so unlike most people in the city I bring my lunch most of the time. It has got to be very expensive to get lunch out everyday and literally that is what the people in my office do. For me I think I would get tired of trying to figure out where to eat and I think it would take the fun out of it. Therefore, I get lunch out once a week at a restaurant that I have found on one of the side streets. One place I tried was called Napoli 57. I got a panini there with mozzarella, tomato and pesto. It was fantastic! But on the days when I am not going out to eat I like to go this fountain on 57th in between Park and Lexington. For me it is very relaxing, I get to sit in the sun and enjoy my lunch.


My first pay check came in this week and I treated myself to a new pair of black heels, they were only $20 and I need them seeing as how my old black heel no longer have a sole because I have destroyed them walking around the city. It was a quick fix and a little treat to myself for working.


I think the most comical thing that happened to me this week and was my first slip up as a new receptionist happened yesterday. So the air conditioning in one of the back office is not working well, a co-worker asked me to phone the lobby to get maintenance to come up and fix it. After I called I figured I did my part. I moved onto other things and the air conditioner issue slipped my mind. My co-worker came to me towards the end of the day and asked if I ever got in touch with downstairs. Shocked that I had totally forgot about it and that the issue had not been addressed, I told him I would call down and see what the deal was.

Trying to be very efficient and professional I called right away. "Hi this is Brittany from the 12th floor, I called this morning about an air conditioning problem and I was wondering if you guys got in touch with maintenance."

After a pause a mans voice replies, "Well no Brittany, I can't help you with the air conditioning problem because I did not know there was one and don't think I have the direct extension to the maintenance line. "

A little confused I replied with, "Oh okay."


The voice laughed a little and goes, " You see Brittany, this is Mark from the sugar trading room, if you need help trading sugar I can do that, but other than that I think you called the wrong room. "


I started laughing and said oops. As it turns out I had combine the number from the front lobby with the number for the trading room, which happens to be the room with the air conditioning problem. It was just one of those moment you have to sit back, laugh and say really? Next time I will definitely be reading the numbers more carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment